Items for mood-lifting and brain-boosting
By Chris Steiner
• EFAs (essential fatty acids) from hempseed oil (see also the Fat/EFA Absorption Blog)
• Curcumin (extracted from turmeric) dissolves Beta-amyloid plaques in the brain that are implicated in Alzheimer's Disease
• B complex vitamins from whole food source (as most supplements are coal tar-derived) like non-GMO brewer's Yeast and bee pollen, With Vitamin B6 (methylated P-5-P (pyridoxal-5-phosphate coenzymated) form), Folate (Vitamin B9) as methylated 5-Mythylhydrofolate or 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid form), a high potency (5+ mg) vitamin B12 in the form of methylated methylcobalamin or, even better, adenosylcobalamin (dibencozide); avoid cyanocobalamin
• Bovine Colostrum from a clean source like New Zealand: promotes neurogenesis, also helpful for palsies, dystrophies, multiple sclerosis, and many more diseases and conditions including neurological
• Mainly as a silica source I take a tablespoon of food grade diatomaceous earth (aka "fossil shell flour") on an empty stomach once or twice per day, also useful for detoxification. Because it also harms beneficial bacteria, one should also supplement separately with probiotics (i.e. fermented and cultured foods) and prebiotics (soluble fibre).
• Organic hemp seed oil: I've had great success with hemp seed oil. I take a big swallow each day and my nutritional blood analysis shows I'm getting enough. The best value I've found in the refrigerated oils section at Clearwater's Nature's Food Patch (http://NaturesFoodPatch.com). I was taking a high quality fish oil, but within a week of beginning taking organic hemp seed oil noticed smoother skin.
• CBD oil
• Vitamin D-3 (2,000 to 5,000 IU per day)
• Magnesium (700+ mg/day in the form of sulfate (Epsom Salt) is the least expensive and also has sulfur, a mineral great for detoxification that most folks lack), though other well-absorbed forms are citrate, aspartate, malate, and glycinate. Avoid magnesium oxide which is oxidized, thus free radical-inducing. Although more expensive, magnesium peroxide (i.e. Homozon, Oxy-Powder by Global Healing Center, Oxy-Cleanse by Earth's Bounty) is also antiseptic and more alkalinizing as it releases oxygen.
• Sunflower seed lecithin (preferable to soy or soya lecithin): Contains phospholipids, phosphatidyl serine and phosphatidyl choline, which are also good for stimulating proliferation of your own stem cells; emulsifies fats with water; and is anti-viral
• L-Glutamine: the most common amino acid in the body, memory aid, muscle recovery, assists digestive disorders like diverticulitis, diverticulosis, Crohn's Disease, etc. I notice very enhanced virility about three days after taking it a scoop.
• L-Pyrogluatmic Acid: similar to L-Glutamine, but more easily crosses the blood-brain barrier
• DMAE (dimethyl amino ethanol): good for age/liver spots (rancid fat beneath the skin), formerly prescription-only for ADD
• Damiana leaf: also a male and female aphrodisiac
• Maca (preferably purple or, even better, black maca): also a male and female aphrodisiac, helps balance hormones
• Acetyl L-Carnitine: helps fats cross cell membranes, metabolizing fats for energy in the mitochondria; crosses the blood-brain barrier better than L-Carnitine
• L-Theanine: amino acid found in green tea
• L-Tyrosine or N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
• Lion's Mane mushroom: proven to stimulate neurogenesis for improved memory and I found to be a good mood-lifter
• Cordyceps Sinensis: improves blood oxygenation up to 30% and I found to noticeably help my workout endurance
• SAMe (SAM-e): http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-786-same.aspx?activeingredientid=786&activeingredientname=same
• NADH: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1016-nadh.aspx?activeingredientid=1016&activeingredientname=nadh
• Essential oils (only food- aka therapeutic- aka medicinal-grade, preferably organic) like Frankincense (from the Boswellia tree), rosemary, turmeric, rose, Roman Chamomile, French lavender, eucalyptus, myrrh, peppermint, ylang ylang, Roman Chamomile, French Lavender, cinnamons, sage, clary sage, rose geranium, thymes, basil, and many more.
• Serotonin precursors: L-Tryptophan, GABA, GTF (glucose-tolerance factor) Chromium (200-400 mcg (micrograms) / day)
• St. John's Wort